Juvederm is a smooth, crystal-clear gel that is made from hyaluronic acid, which is derived from natural sugars found in our own bodies. It is used as a "filler" to help volume to cheeks and to aid in plumping the lips or giving them the overall appearance of fullness. Juvederm is also used to smooth, soften, and correct moderate to severe parentheses lines by adding subtle volume around the nose and mouth.
Juverderm is administered by your healthcare or dental professional after they have taken your medical history and provided a facial analysis. Your healthcare or dental professional will use a topical numbing cream to minimize discomfort or may use a common anesthetic called lidocaine to help manage any pain or discomfort. Juvederm is injected under the skin using a fine needle. The appointment can take 15-60 minutes. It will typically last from 9 months to 1 year after initial injection.
Within the first 24 hours we ask that you minimize exposure to sun, heat, alcoholic beverages, and strenuous exercise. If exposed you may have temporary redness, swelling, or itching at the injection site. If swelling occurs after treatment, an ice pack should be applied over the swollen area. We advise that you should wait to apply make-up until your given the go ahead.
THINGS TO TELL US ABOUT PRIOR TO STARTING JUVEDERM
- History of excessive scarring (hypertrophic scarring/keloid formations) pigment disorders.
- If your planning on having any laser treatments or chemical peels.
- If you have been on immunosuppressive therapy.
- Please tell us if you have been or have used medications that can prolong bleeding which may increase bruising or bleeding at the injection site i.e. aspirin, ibuprofen, blood thinners, etc.
- If possibility of pregnancy, Juvederm has not been tested for use on those while pregnant, breastfeeding, or under the age of 18.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS (usually 7 days or less)
- Pain, tenderness
- As with any skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection
For more information on Juvederm please see the attached link or feel free to ask when at our office.